Friday, February 22, 2013

Ten Reasons to Work Instead of Going On Disability


Dafs in February...one of the perks of living where I do!

Work? Or go on Disability?

When am I “disabled?”  Am I disabled?  I certainly don’t view myself that way! I have a diagnosis that “qualifies,” but when do I throw in the towel and quit working?

If you have chronic illness (and depression...goes together like peanut butter and jelly doesn't it?) you are probably going to have to look at the pros and cons of quitting work.

I am in the mid-swing of life, still have my baby at home to raise, and I’m still paying off student loans from my most recent degree (well, I was in a long term remission period, Ha!); but, it’s time I look at this topic like it or not!
  1. disability checks pay you enough to think you are going to get by financially (I went to a disability attorney...he said, if there’s any way you can work...then work! Disability limits you financially.
  2. working gets me out of the house and around people...good for me
  3. disability means working with a government agency...huge hassle
  4. working gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment
  5. disability means I’m disabled, that’s a negative label (I dislike labels!)
  6. working allows me to share myself with others (I’m a teacher by profession)
  7. disability will mean that I am home more...will I really rest more at home?
  8. working keeps me moving and gives me a reason to start the day
  9. disability means if someone sees me working in the yard (I have good days), I will be judged as an abuser of the system (busybodies you know!)
  10. working gives you benefits, especially insurance (I hope.  Disability gives you bare minimum.)


Quitting work is a difficult decision and has far-reaching ramifications. Going on disability puts me in a position of dependence; a place I once said I would never be. Or is this pride?

Anyway, here are some scriptures that put all things into perspective:

And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you. Psalms 9:10 ESV

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. Psalms 37:5

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. Ephesians 2: 19-22 ESV




I would love to hear what some of you are doing about this dilemma and hope you will post some comments about this to share with us!

Respectfully Yours,
post signature















2 comments:

  1. I certainly agree that we should all avoid going on disability if we can help it for the reasons you just gave. However, I worry about people causing more harm to themselves by continuing to work despite a handicap but refusing to apply for federal aid because of the negative stigma that seems to come with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph...good point. There IS a negative stigma attached. Being "disabled." The worst I think is coming to terms with the reality of it within yourself. I think people have to come to terms with "invalid." ...as in:
      : not valid:
      a : being without foundation or force in fact, truth, or law
      But most especially:
      : suffering from disease or disability : sickly
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete